Al-Badiyah (Arabic: ٱلْبَدِيَة) or Al-Bidyah (ٱلْبِدْيَة) is a settlement in the Emirate of Fujairah, the United Arab Emirates. It is the site of a historical mosque of the same name, which is the oldest functional mosque in the country, dating back to the 15th century.
Remains of a Portuguese era fort have been discovered in the village by a team of Australian archaeologists. The fort, originally called ‘Libidia’, was identified from a 16th-century map. Its walls were constructed using rock recovered from a nearby tower dated back to the third millennium BCE. These walls, some 60 metres (200 feet) in length, are joined in a square with towers on each corner and stand today at a height of up to a meter. Finds at the site of the fort include locally made pottery dating back to the 17th and 18th centuries, and charcoal samples unearthed were carbon dated to 1450-1600, within the context of the Portuguese presence in the Gulf.
Media related to Al Badiyah at Wikimedia Commons
This United Arab Emirates location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.